Welcome to Cat Ba Island
Cat Ba is the largest island in the Bay and approximately half of its area is covered by a National Park, which is home to the highly endangered Cat Ba langur. Located off the coast of Hai Phong City, its beaches (named Cat Co 1 and Cat Co 2) are great for sunbathing and swimming during the summer months. If you’re not a fan of crowds on the beach, you can charter a speedboat or rent a kayak to Monkey Island and Lan Ha Bay, where the beaches are cleaner and quieter.
Best Time to go the best time to go to Cat Ba Island
Best Time to go the best time to go to Cat Ba Island is during the summer, between April and November. It’s also peak tourist season in Halong Bay, with numerous boat tours stopping on the island. The beaches can be very crowded with fellow tourists so we recommend heading there early to find a good spot. Make sure to book well in advance as hotels are also pricier this time of the year. For better deals, visit from September to November as crowds are significantly smaller as the climate on Cat Ba Island transitions into monsoon season.
Lan ha bay is located in the south of Ha Long Bay. It belongs to Cat Ba islands area, Hai Phong city. Many people think that it is Halong bay area because it also has hundreds of islands like Halong bay. However, Lan Ha bay is different with hundreds of small beaches, this is paradise for tourists to go swimming, go kayaking or staying overnight in a bungalow…
Lan Ha bay has about 139 beautiful, small sandy beaches, many island has sandy beach lie between two stone mountains. Many tourists come to these beaches for swimming, kayaking, having sunbath or have a picnic lunch on the beach. Especially, in some big beaches, local people has invested to build some bungalows where you can come to stay overnight such as Monkey Island Resort, Sandy Beach Resort, Castaway bungalow, Cove Beach bungalow…
We had chance to stay overnight on Cruises in Halong Bay and in Lan Ha bay with VIET FLAME TOURS. Seeing the sunset here is so beautiful and especially we really enjoy the romantic evening walking on the beach or lying on a long chair to see the moon on the sea. Breath in cool air from the ocean also give us a good health.
Things to do in Lan Ha bay:
- Swimming in Lan Ha bay: there are many small beaches in Lan Ha bay for you to come to swimm and it is lovely to swimm at Monkey Island or Van Boi Con island.
- Lan Ha bay – Kayaking paradise: as Lan Ha bay has hundreds of small sandy beaches and hundreds of small islets around, it is the paradise for those tourists want to kayak in a calm and clean water to discover the wild nature of Cat Ba islands. Some famous places for kayaking here is Cai Beo floating village, Van Boi center area in the middle of the bay, Ba Trai Dao area or Monkey Island area…
- Rock climbing in Lan Ha bay: Catba has an international Rock-climbing center and you can book a half or full day rock climbing trip at Monkey Island Resort booking office.
- Visit floating village: you can come to visit Cai Beo floating village where people have to stay in floating houses, children go to shool by boat.
- Visit Viet Hai fishing village: from Lan Ha bay, you can come to Viet Hai harbour and then take motorbike or bicycle to come 6 km to visit Viet Hai fishing village in the Catba national park.
- Play and stay at a private beach: there are some private beach which has bungalows for you to stay overnight. You can book a package tour or just book a room here and you have a lot of time for activities in those bungalows like kayaking, swimming, playing beach volleyball, beach football…
Best time to visit Lan Ha Bay
Summer is the best time to go to Lan Ha Bay because the weather is hot, suitable for swimming and kayaking on bay. If you want to combine the tour to visit Cat Ba, you can choose autumn to visit, however the weather may have storm and the weather is not good for swimming.
Transport to Lan Ha Bay
- From Hanoi you can take Cat Ba Express Bus, Good Morning Cat Ba Bus, to Cat Ba Island.
- Take a local bus to Lan Ha Bay
- Rent Day Cruise In Lan Ha Bay, Overnight Cruises in Lan Ha Bay
- Motorbike for rent on Cat Ba Island
Cat Ba National Park is a World Heritage Site designated as a biosphere reserve in northern Vietnam. The park is part of Cat Ba Island in Halong Bay and is administered by the city of Haiphong. The park is located approximately 30 kilometres (19 mi) east of Hai Phong, covering about 263 square kilometres (102 sq mi) and comprising 173 square kilometres (67 sq mi) of land and 90 square kilometres (35 sq mi) of inshore water.
Cai Beo Fishing Village (near Ben Beo harbor) is one of the famous ancient villages in the country’s largest prehistoric. This is a fishing village of about 300 houses living mainly by fishing and seafood farming. Cai Beo village is just about 2 km from Cat Ba town, also 2 km to Monkey Island Resort. You can come here by taxi or moto taxi then go by small boat to visit the village. The scenery here is very beautiful with hundreds of floating houses staying under the islets like a stone garden.
Trung Trang valley is the biggest valley on Cat Ba Island with an area of about 300 hectares, lower than sea level from 10 to 30 meters and far from Cat Ba town about 15 kilometers.
Trung trang cave has 300 meters length through mountains, which is a natural cave created by heaven over two thousand years of history. Having hundreds of natural stalactites with the unique shape, the cave makes people associated with the image of the fairy. There has one range of rocks standing in parallel, if you slap hands, you will hear the sound so far away. Trung Trang Cave can contain hundreds of tourists to visit. At the Trung Trang Cave, it also has Kim Giao forest with beautiful nature, valuable economic and scientific research.
The island was formerly known as Cat Dua Island because there is the great number of luxuriant high pandanus shading around. The fruits of pandanus here look fairly good, yet they are not edible. The fishermen here usually pick them up for drenching or drying as medicines. Cat Dua Island is also an ideal rendezvous for swimming with blue water and white sandy shores formed from coral debris. Cat Dua Island today is calling Monkey Island by the locals here thanks to the presence of several dozen of monkeys. Almost all of monkeys in Cat Dua are brought here for living by the rangers. They are thus quite bold with the locals and tourists. They even seize food right from tourists’ hands and might bite if provoked. However, it is the untouched uniqueness that makes the island become famous alluring the large number of tourists in Cat Ba tours. Discovering Monkey Island is definitely one of the most unforgettable things to do in Cat Ba.